Unconscious Bias Mitigation and Fairer Recruitment (UBFR) Training Sessions
To create diverse and inclusive workplaces, we have a responsibility to challenge our own unconscious bias on a regular basis, in order to grow in a progressive manner. The business case for diversity is clear – in a study conducted by McKinsey & Co, it was seen that companies in the top quartile for gender diversity are 15 percent more likely to have financial returns above their respective national industry medians.
As part of the Inclusive Engineering Programme, funded by the Workplace Equality Fund, Scottish Engineering and EQUATE Scotland are partnering to offer free training sessions for engineering SME employers on equality, inclusion and fairer recruitment practices. These will be delivered by EQUATE Scotland, the national expert on Women in STEM, and will include unconscious bias training, equality and diversity training for managers, using inclusive language and embedding culture change.
These sessions will be delivered across Scotland in order to be as accessible as possible, with locations in Renfrew, Aberdeen, South Queensferry and Dundee. Spaces for each of the locations are limited and are allocated on a ‘first come first serve’ basis, and as such we encourage those who are interested to apply soon.
Two of the training sessions will be in the form of live webinars, and will allow for those who are unable to attend a face to face session to receive an overview of the training online. The dates and locations for the face to face sessions are:
- Thursday 19th March, 1pm – 4pm: AFRC (Renfrew) AFRC, University of Strathclyde, 85 Inchinnan Drive, Inchinnan, Renfrew PA4 9LJ
- Wednesday 29th April, 1pm – 4pm: Royal Bank of Scotland (Aberdeen) Royal Bank of Scotland plc, MSQ2, Broad Street, Aberdeen, AB10 1BL
- Wednesday 27th May, 1pm – 4pm: Progress Rail (South Queensferry) Progress Rail, Headrig Rd, South Queensferry EH30 9SH
- Wednesday 24th June, 1pm – 4pm: Rautomead (Dundee) Rautomead Ltd, Nobel Road, Wester Gourdie Industrial Estate, Dundee, DD2 4UH
With the webinars scheduled for:
- Thursday 30th April, 2020, 1.5 hours (Time TBD)
- Thursday 14th May , 2020, 1.5 hours (Time TBD)
Both webinars will be using Webex – links will be forwarded to participants prior to the online session. Both online sessions cover a different aspect of the training, and as such we encourage webinar participants to sign up to both online sessions. These will be live sessions to allow for interaction with the trainers, Q&As etc
Deadline for applications to attend a training session, face to face or online, is 29th February 2020.
To participate in this programme, or for more information, please contact Naziyah Mahmood (Equalities Officer, Scottish Engineering) on NaziyahMahmood@scottishengineering.org.uk
We look forward to hearing from you, and to seeing a fairer and more inclusive engineering sector in Scotland!