COVID-19 Update – 24th March 2020
Dear Member Company,
Many of you will have watched the announcements by the UK Prime Minister and Scottish First Minister yesterday evening and have further questions about your businesses. The UK Government Department of Business, Energy and Industrial Strategy has clarified this morning that their advice to Business is as follows:
- If it is impossible for you to work from home, you are able to go to work. For example, this will apply to those who do manual labour, such as in the construction and manufacturing industries, as well as those who provide services that cannot be done from home.
- You are able to go to work if you absolutely have to, unless you are a vulnerable member of society, in which case we urge you to stay at home as per the guidance.
In addition, based on our interpretation of latest Government Advice, this here is the view of Scottish Engineering on 24 March 2020:
- There is no blanket closure of Scottish businesses, other than those specifically highlighted beforehand, e.g. gyms, restaurants pubs & clubs.
- Those who can work from home should do so. Those who cannot work from home can go into work.
- Those who do come into the workplace should observe social distancing guidance or minimise closer contact where not possible.
- Train staff in good hygiene and minimise contact, particularly where social distancing is not possible.
Please click here to refer back to our previous Scottish Engineering briefings on self-isolation and sick pay.