Members Briefing – Job Retention Scheme Clarification
We wanted to share more widely clarification from BEIS on the changes to the Coronavirus Job Retention Scheme. As stated in the policy notification:
- From 1 July, employers can claim CJRS grant for reduced hours working
- However the scheme will close to new entrants from 30 June.
- From this point onwards, employers will only be able to furlough employees that they have previously furloughed for a full 3 week period prior to 30 June.
- The final date by which an employer can furlough an employee for the first time will be 10 June, in order for the current 3 week furlough period to be completed by 30 June.
To clarify issues raised over the transition of systems:
- Employers will not be eligible from July if they have not previously furloughed their staff, but will be eligible if they have furloughed them previously at any point.
- The individuals do not have to be on furlough in June / on the day of the announcement to be eligible to be furloughed from 1st July, as long as they have been furloughed previously.
- Existing employers can furlough previously furloughed employees after 10th June, which means that furlough period cross into July.
- However they will need to ensure the employee is fully furloughed for three consecutive weeks for any furlough periods that begin in June.
- Once that three-week period has ended, they can use the enhanced flexibility in July.
- All employers will be required to make a claim for the period to 30 June, and a separate claim as required from 1 July.
If you have any questions, you can contact the team on 0141 221 3181